Want to know if cottage cheese is allowed on a keto diet? It depends on the type and amounts you consume. This article explains everything you need to know about including cottage cheese in your meal plan – plus some helpful tips to make it easier!
Is Cottage Cheese Keto Approved?!
Yes, cottage cheese is an excellent option for people on the keto diet. It has lots of protein and low carbs, plus other essential nutrients.
Also, cottage cheese is a great snack for kids on the keto diet. It has more protein and fewer carbs than milk or yogurt, giving you energy all day long without extra calories.
Plus, it’s full of essential nutrients like calcium, which helps your body regulate its hormones and blood pressure!
We can enjoy cottage cheese in many ways – from the tub or added to omelets and salads for a tasty meal. When you’re shopping for cottage cheese, be sure to double-check the label. Some varieties may contain extra ingredients or added flavors that could affect the nutritional value.
Nutritional breakdown of cottage cheese
Cottage cheese is a delicious, nutritious food that’s great for people on a keto diet. It has lots of protein and not too many carbohydrates, which makes it an ideal snack or part of a meal. But do you know what else is in cottage cheese?
We can figure it out by looking at the nutritional value of one serving of cottage cheese – that’s the amount we’d have when we eat it! (*)
We can also compare different types to know which kind to pick for our next snack or dinner. Learning about nutrition like this can be fun and tasty!
- A single 8-ounce full-fat cottage cheese contains 130 calories, 10 grams of fat, 7 grams of carbohydrates (4 from sugar), 16 grams of protein, and 500 mg of sodium. That’s a great source of protein and other nutrients to add to your diet!
- Two tablespoons or 1 oz. of regular full-fat cottage cheese contains 20 calories, 2g fat; 2g carbohydrates (1 g from sugar); 3g protein; and 125mg sodium.
- Two tablespoons or 1oz. of low-fat cottage cheese contains 15 calories; 0g fat; 2 g carbohydrates (1 g from sugar); 4g protein; and 200mg sodium.
When choosing cottage cheese, always read the label, so you know what you’re getting.
Some varieties may have added flavors or ingredients, like cream for a richer texture and herbs for taste. That can change the nutritional content, so it’s essential to pick the one that fits your dietary goals!
Benefits of cottage cheese on the keto diet
Cottage cheese is an excellent choice for those on a ketogenic diet, as it has a high protein content and low carbohydrate count.
Here are some of the benefits that make cottage cheese a popular choice among keto dieters:
Great Source Of Protein:
Cottage cheese is a great source of protein. It’s made up of all nine essential amino acids, which are like building blocks for your muscles.
And it has slow-releasing proteins compared to other dairy products, like milk, that gives you energy without piling on the calories.
That makes it ideal for people on low-carb diets who still want to get enough protein and stay energized!
Low Glycemic Index:
A glycemic index is a number that tells you how quickly your body digests the food you eat.
Foods with a low glycemic index are digested more slowly, so they don’t cause as much of an insulin spike in your body.
That can be great for people trying to lose weight because it helps them stay on track with their goals.
Cottage cheese is one of those kinds of food – its glycemic index ranges from 0 to 45 out of 100, depending on its fat content!
High Calcium Content:
Cottage cheese is great if you’re trying to follow a ketogenic diet because it’s an excellent source of calcium.
One cup contains about 25 percent of your daily calcium needs! Calcium is important for many things, like keeping your bones and teeth strong.
It regulates your blood pressure and helps make hormones in your body. So remember to get enough calcium!
Cottage cheese is a delicious food you can eat in many different ways.
You can snack on it straight out of the tub, or you can use it to make yummy dishes like omelets and salads. That way, you can mix up your meals and not just eat plain yogurt or eggs all the time!
What brand of cottage cheese is keto-friendly?
When looking for cottage cheese that’s good for a ketogenic diet, it’s important to check the labels on the packages.
Look for brands that don’t have added sugar and have fewer than 5 grams of carbs in each serving.
Some of the best keto-friendly cottage cheese brands are
- Nordic Creamery,
- Friendship Dairies,
- Daisy Cottage Cheese,
- and Kalona SuperNatural Organic Cottage Cheese.
They all come in different fat levels, so pick whichever works best with your diet. On top of that, look at other things like protein levels and sodium content on the labels too!
Once you’ve selected your cottage cheese, how do you include it in your diet?
Cottage cheese is a great way to get more protein in your meals and not add lots of carbs.
You can use it as a topping or ingredient in dishes like lasagna or frittatas, and you could add some fresh herbs, spices, or vegetables too! It also makes a delicious dip for crudité sticks.
If you want something else, try blending cottage cheese with Greek yogurt to make spreads and dressings or adding it to smoothies and shakes.
There are so many different ways you can enjoy cottage cheese!
Simple Keto Cottage Cheese Recipes
Cottage cheese is a perfect ingredient for ketogenic recipes! You can use it as the main ingredient in casseroles, omelets, salads, and smoothies.
It’s also great for adding creaminess to desserts like cheesecakes or mousses.
For breakfast, you can mix cottage cheese with nuts and berries to make a tasty porridge that won’t affect your carb levels.
Here are some easy and delicious keto-friendly cottage cheese recipes:
Fluffy Cottage Cheese Pancakes
This recipe uses a simple mix of eggs, almond flour, cottage cheese, and spices.
Fluffy Cottage Cheese Pancakes are an excellent ketogenic breakfast!
- Start by mixing almond flour, baking powder, xanthan gum, and salt in a bowl.
- Whisk together eggs and cottage cheese in a separate bowl until everything is smooth.
- Next, add the wet ingredients to the dry ingredients and mix until everything is combined.
- Cook each pancake on a nonstick skillet for about 1 minute on each side over medium heat.
- These pancakes are fluffy, light, and delicious – plus, they stay full until lunchtime when you reheat them.
- Serve with sugar-free maple syrup or nut butter for a tasty keto-friendly meal any day of the week!
Cottage Cheese Omelette –
Combine your favorite vegetables with eggs and cottage cheese for a tasty omelet.
Making a cottage cheese omelet is a delicious and healthy breakfast option for the keto diet.
- Start by heating up a pan and adding your favorite vegetables to it.
- After the veggies are cooked, add some eggs and cottage cheese to the same pan. Stir everything together until it’s all blended.
- Then, cook the omelet for 3 – 4 minutes or until the egg is cooked. Finally, fold the omelet in half and flip it over to cook both sides. !
This omelet is an excellent source of protein, healthy fats, and all your favorite fresh vegetables!
Enjoy it with a dollop of avocado, or top it with fresh herbs for an extra flavourful kick. Add crumbled bacon or sausage to the mix for those looking for an even heartier breakfast. This Cottage Cheese Omelette makes a perfect meal any day of the week!
Low Carb Cheesy Zucchini Bake
For a delicious keto-friendly dinner, try Low Carb Cheesy Zucchini Bake.
- Start by preheating your oven to 400 degrees Fahrenheit and lightly sauté onion and garlic until softened.
- Next, layer the bottom of a baking dish with the cooked onion and garlic. Then add slices of zucchini and tomato sauce, followed by mozzarella cheese.
- Top it off with cottage cheese and freshly cracked black pepper.
- Bake for 25 minutes or until golden brown on top.
This easy dinner can be stored in the fridge for up to 5 days and reheated in the microwave when you’re ready to enjoy it!
Keto Cottage Cheese Stuffed Peppers
A dish packed with flavor from bell peppers, ground beef, spices, and cottage cheese.
Keto Cottage Cheese Stuffed Peppers is a savory and flavourful dish perfect for your ketogenic diet.
- Start by preheating the oven to 350 degrees Fahrenheit.
- Then, in a large skillet over medium-high heat, cook your ground beef with onion, garlic, and all your favorite spices until browned.
- Once cooked through, add the cottage cheese and mix it together, then turn off the stove.
- Next, cut open bell peppers lengthwise and remove the seeds, then fill each pepper with the beef mixture.
- Place them on a baking sheet and bake in preheated oven for 20 minutes or until tender.
You can enjoy this Keto Cottage Cheese Stuffed Pepper dish as is or top it with extra cheese for some added creaminess. This dish is sure to be a hit at any family gathering!
Keto Cheesy Broccoli Bake
Keto Cheesy Broccoli Bake is a delicious and healthy meal!
- First, preheat your oven to 350 degrees Fahrenheit.
- Then, steam broccoli florets in a pot of boiling water until they are tender (about 5 minutes).
- In a separate bowl, mix together cream cheese, Parmesan cheese, and cottage cheese with salt and pepper for flavor.
- Put the cooked broccoli into an oven-safe dish, pour over the cheese mixture, and stir everything together.
- Top with more Parmesan cheese before baking for 15-20 minutes or until golden brown.
- Serve with your favorite protein for a complete keto meal!
Conclusion: Can You Eat Cottage Cheese On Keto?
Cottage cheese can be part of your keto meal plan – but you need to pay attention when shopping at the store!
Look for full-fat versions without any added preservatives or sugars.
You can enjoy this versatile dairy product while staying within your ketogenic lifestyle!
Up Next: Is Cream Cheese Keto-Friendly? Everything You NEED To KNOW!