If you think finding low-carb chicken soup recipes is impossible, this article will blow your mind.
- Essential Ingredients for Low Carb Chicken Soups
- 18 Satisfying Low-Carb Chicken Soup Recipes
- Classic Chicken Soup- A Keto Take on the Classic
- Cream of Chicken Soup- A Creamy Delight
- Chicken Cream Cheese Soup- Cheesy and Hearty
- Chicken Mushroom Soup- Fall Flavors in One Bowl
- Chicken Vegetable Soup- Packed with Fiber
- Rotisserie Chicken Soup- With a Smoky Touch
- Chicken Meatball and Zoodle Soup- Chicken Noodle Soup Made Keto
- Buffalo Chicken Soup- Spicy andCheesy
- Chicken Pot Pie Soup- Pie and Soup Rolled into One
- Lemon Chicken Soup- Perfect Spring Soup
- Crack Chicken Soup- Warning: Highly Addictive
- Chicken Egg Drop Soup with Spinach- Chinese Takeout Made Healthy
- Indian-inspired Chicken Soup- Mouthwatering Indian Flavors
- Chicken and Shrimp Laksa- A Taste of Southeast Asia
- Chicken Fajita Soup- A Mexican Affair
- Tom Kha Gai Soup- Bold Thai Flavors
- Chicken Chili- Hearty and Comforting Flavors
- Chicken and Dumplings Soup- A Southern Favorite
- Tips for Enhancing Flavor in Low Carb Chicken Soups
- Benefits of Low Carb Chicken Soups
- Final Words
- Frequently Asked Questions
Ahh.. the delicious and comforting chicken soup, a dish that brings back lots of good childhood memories.
Do you remember the love and comfort you felt when your Mom served this to you when you were sick?
Or how about that warm fuzzy feeling you get when you shared a bowl of piping hot chicken soup with your siblings during cold winter nights?
Let us guess: you’re already craving it right now, aren’t you?
But wait, your family’s chicken soup recipe includes many carb-rich food items and is definitely not keto-friendly.
Well, don’t say goodbye to your childhood favorite just yet.
Good news: You can make a low-carb version of this heartwarming soup.
But wait, there’s more.
In addition to the classic recipe, we also found lots of low-carb chicken soup recipes with different flavor profiles inspired by various cuisines all over the globe.
So if you’re ready to satisfy your childhood cravings and take your love for chicken soup to the next level; continue reading.
Essential Ingredients for Low Carb Chicken Soups
Before we jump into the recipes, let’s take a quick look at some key ingredients that form the foundation of these mouthwatering low carb chicken soups:
- Lean Proteins: Chicken, whether shredded, diced, or in the form of broth, is the star of these recipes, providing lean protein without excess carbs.
- Flavorful Broths: Whether it’s homemade or store-bought, opting for broths with no added sugars or unnecessary carbs is essential.
- Nutrient-Packed Vegetables: Load up on low-carb vegetables like cauliflower, zucchini, spinach, and bell peppers for added texture, flavor, and nutrients.
- Healthy Fats: Incorporate sources of healthy fats like avocado, coconut milk, or olive oil to enhance satiety and flavor.
- Aromatic Herbs and Spices: Herbs and spices such as thyme, rosemary, turmeric, and ginger can take your soup’s taste profile to the next level.
Now that we have our ingredients sorted, let’s dive into the world of low carb chicken soup recipes!
18 Satisfying Low-Carb Chicken Soup Recipes
Whether you’re craving your childhood favorite or you want a fresh take on this classic dish, we’ve got the recipe you need below:
Classic Chicken Soup– A Keto Take on the Classic
This keto take has all the elements you love in the classic chicken noodle soup recipe—fall-off-the-bone chicken pieces, comforting chicken stock, and your favorite vegetable mix (carrots, celery, onion, and garlic).
The only thing that it doesn’t have is noodles! But don’t you worry; we can easily swap it with low-carb alternatives.
In fact, you even have two options for this: cauliflower rice or low-carb noodles with only 2 g of net carbs per serving. (*)
Pro Tip: Use chicken stock with no fillers or added sugar to minimize carbohydrate consumption.
- Customization: Try swapping veggies for seasonal alternatives or adding a dash of turmeric for extra flavor.
- Side Dish: Pair with a simple avocado and tomato salad for a fresh contrast.
Learn more: https://thebigmansworld.com/keto-chicken-soup/
Cream of Chicken Soup– A Creamy Delight
If you prefer thicker chicken soup, this is the low-carb recipe for you.
It has the same warm and comforting flavors you love but with a creamy twist, perfect for chilly nights.
To give it a richer texture, the recipe uses xanthan gum as a thickener instead of flour or
cornstarch, so you’re assured that it’s suitable for your keto diet.
Pro Tip: Replace the heavy cream with coconut milk to make this recipe dairy-free.
Customization: Experiment with different herbs like thyme or rosemary for a fragrant twist.
Side Dish: A side of sautéed spinach or broccoli complements the creamy flavors perfectly.
Chicken Cream Cheese Soup– Cheesy and Hearty
This one’s a cheesy take on the usual cream of chicken soup. It contains cream cheese which lends a new dimension of flavor to the soup.
That’s not all. Cream cheese is also packed with good fats and is one of the best keto cheeses you can eat on keto. (*)
And thanks to the addition of Thyme, it also has a fresh and herby flavor that perfectly complements the cream cheese.
Pro Tip: You can use this recipe as a base for other creamy soup recipes.
- Customization: Add a handful of chopped spinach or kale for an extra burst of color and nutrition.
- Side Dish: Enjoy with a side of roasted Brussels sprouts or asparagus.
Chicken Mushroom Soup– Fall Flavors in One Bowl
Do you love mushroom soup and chicken soup and can’t choose between the two? With this recipe, you don’t have to.
The mushroom delivers authentic rustic flavors, which makes it the perfect fall soup. In addition to the highly satiating protein-rich chicken, it has the fat-rich heavy cream that will provide you with the energy you need while on keto.
All in all, it doesn’t just have addictive and comforting flavors. It has the perfect macros for the keto diet as well. (*)
Chicken Vegetable Soup- Packed with Fiber
With this low-carb chicken soup recipe, you can simultaneously enjoy your favorite soup and satisfy your fiber requirements.
The soup contains many vegetables like greens, yellow squash, green beans, sundried tomatoes, and much more. In addition to boosting its nutritional content, the veggies add a pop of color to the soup and makes it look more appetizing.
Pro Tip: For minimal carbohydrate consumption, stick with the lowest-carb veggies, like collards, spinach, or Swiss chard.
- Customization: Try using a mix of different mushroom varieties for a complex flavor profile.
- Side Dish: Serve alongside a simple cucumber and red onion salad for a refreshing contrast.
Rotisserie Chicken Soup– With a Smoky Touch
Say goodbye to bland chicken soup and say hello to rich and bold flavors with this Rotisserie Chicken Soup.
What makes it different from most low-carb chicken soup recipes is that it uses leftover rotisserie chicken, so it’s not only flavorful but also easy and quick to make.
The chicken’s smokiness is balanced with the lemon’s refreshing taste and the parmesan’s rich texture.
Pro Tip: Sauté your veggies before adding them to the soup to unleash their deep flavors and give them a crunchy texture.
Chicken Meatball and Zoodle Soup– Chicken Noodle Soup Made Keto
With this chicken meatball and zoodle soup recipe, you can add a low-carb spin to your all-time favorite chicken noodle soup.
Since the dish uses chicken meatballs instead of flakes, it has larger chicken chunks that will give you a more satisfying bite.
It also calls for zucchini noodles or zoodles, a low-carb noodle alternative. This excellent substitute delivers added texture to the soup and gives it a refreshing touch.
Pro Tip: Invest in a good spiralizer to enjoy fresh zoodles on demand. (*)
Buffalo Chicken Soup– Spicy andCheesy
Give traditional chicken soup a spicy and cheesy update with this buffalo chicken soup recipe.
It’s the Buffalo Wings and Chicken Soup crossover you never thought you needed.
The soup contains lots of cheese, a spicy buffalo sauce, and shredded chicken, so you can enjoy the flavors of your favorite buffalo wings without guilt.
Its spicy taste, rich texture, and a mix of tender and crunchy textures make it one of the best comfort foods during chilly nights.
Pro Tip: Serve this soup with keto cheddar chive biscuits for a more filling meal. You can also go for roasted veggies or a simple salad to boost fiber consumption.
Chicken Pot Pie Soup– Pie and Soup Rolled into One
Here’s another comfort food mash-up that you’ll surely love.
If you love the hearty flavors of a chicken pot pie without the carbs, this is one of the best low-carb chicken soup recipes you should try.
The dish calls for sautéing chicken breast chunks with your choice of vegetables in a rich and creamy heavy cream and cheddar cheese broth.
Serve it with keto crackers or biscuits to give the meal that authentic pot pie feel.
Pro Tip: Add cream cheese to the mix if you want a thicker soup broth.
Lemon Chicken Soup– Perfect Spring Soup
With this healthy and low-carb take on the traditional Greek Avgolemono soup, you can surely feel that spring has already sprung.
While Avgolemono is thick and filling, this Lemon Chicken soup has the perfect spring flavors: light, zesty, and refreshing.
Despite having a light flavor, it’s quite a heavy and filling meal because of its chicken flakes and cauliflower rice combo.
The best part about this soup is it’s easy peasy lemon squeezy to make, so it’s an excellent choice if you want a quick fix for your cravings.
Crack Chicken Soup– Warning: Highly Addictive
If chicken soup is your weakness, this chicken soup will definitely be your kryptonite—just like crack!
Heads up, this crack chicken soup is highly addictive because it contains the best ingredients that make up most comfort foods. It has a savory taste from the bacon and a rich and creamy texture from the ranch seasoning and cheese.
These bold flavors are balanced with the nutritious spinach, and high-protein shredded chicken.
Pro Tip: Use rotisserie chicken for maximum flavor and convenience.
Learn more: https://diethood.com/creamy-crack-chicken-soup/
Chicken Egg Drop Soup with Spinach– Chinese Takeout Made Healthy
While you can easily order an egg drop soup from your favorite Chinese place, nothing beats the homemade version. (*)
It’s not your usual egg drop soup because it contains heavy cream for a richer and thicker texture. The cream also boosts the soup’s fat content, which makes it more suitable for keto.
But wait, there’s more. The soup also has spinach which adds brightness to the dish and delivers micronutrients that you can’t get in the restaurant versions.
Indian-inspired Chicken Soup– Mouthwatering Indian Flavors
If you find the usual chicken soup recipes a bit bland, this spicy chicken soup is a delicious solution. It combines two popular Indian dishes, curry soup and chicken tikka masala, so it best represents the cuisine’s bold flavors.
With just one sip of this hearty, flavorful soup, you can satisfy your Indian food cravings. The best part is it’s flavored only with natural spices, so it’s low in carbs and calories.
Learn more: https://simplysohealthy.com/spicy-chicken-soup/
Chicken and Shrimp Laksa– A Taste of Southeast Asia
For those who love Malaysian flavors, this chicken and shrimp laksa will deliver the rich, spicy, and a bit sour Southeast Asian flavors you’ll surely love.
Beyond the sumptuous flavors, we love this recipe because it’s already a complete meal. After all, it’s packed with protein from shrimp and chicken, fats from coconut oil and cream, and fiber from bean sprouts.
Pro Tip: Turn it into an authentic Malaysian experience by serving this with all the typical fixings. Some of our best recommendations are lime, chili, spring onion and your choice of low-carb noodles.
- Customization: Customize the spice level by adjusting the amount of chili paste to your liking.
- Side Dish: Serve with traditional Malaysian condiments like lime wedges, sliced chili, and fresh herbs.
Chicken Fajita Soup– A Mexican Affair
Good news! You don’t have to miss out on Mexican flavors, even on keto. After all, we’ve got this low-carb chicken soup recipe to satisfy your cravings without the carbs from tortillas.
It uses roasted chicken pieces which are seasoned with cumin, paprika, and chili, so you can taste the rich roasted flavors you love in a fajita in this heartwarming soup.
Pro Tip: Serve this with your choice of low-carb toppings. Our best bets are sliced jalapeños, sour cream, shredded cheese, lime wedges, or sliced olives.
- Editor’s Favourite Side Dish: Pair with a simple side of guacamole or a refreshing cucumber-tomato salad.
Tom Kha Gai Soup– Bold Thai Flavors
Since we’re on another Asian soup version, you know it will be another bold dish, and this will surely not disappoint.
Tom Kha Gai translates to Thai Coconut Chicken Soup, a spicy and sour hot soup with a creamy twist.
This authentic recipe uses avocado oil and canned full-fat coconut milk, so you’re sure that you can get your fill of good fats in one bowl. It also has mushrooms and carrots that will give you your dose of fiber.
Pro Tip: Top it off with cilantro for a burst of color and added flavor.
- Customization: Adjust the level of spiciness by varying the amount of Thai chili used.
- Side Dish: Garnish with fresh cilantro and serve with a side of Thai-style cucumber salad.
No matter what you’re going through, there’s nothing a bowl of chili can’t fix.
Unfortunately, beans are chili’s main ingredients, and it’s a big no-no for keto. (*) Lucky for you, this chicken chili is a beanless recipe.
Even without beans, it’s still creamy and highly satisfying, and we have the blend of cream cheese and heavy cream to thank for that.
In addition to delivering chili’s richness, the fantastic duo is also packed with fats that will keep you energized for the day.
Pro Tip: Stick to your keto diet by serving it with low-carb sides like jalapeño poppers, vegetable sides, and keto breads.
- Side Dish: Enjoy with a side of sliced avocado or a zesty slaw.
Learn more: https://sweetcsdesigns.com/creamy-keto-white-chicken-chili-recipe/
Chicken and Dumplings Soup– A Southern Favorite
If you haven’t tried this Southern dish, you’re missing half of your life. With its buttery and fluffy keto dumplings and creamy and herbaceous broth, it’s undoubtedly a chicken soup unlike any other.
The best part is you can enjoy this treat without having to worry about the dumplings’ carbohydrate content. That’s because this dish contains keto-friendly alternatives like xanthan gum, baking powder, and whey protein powder instead of the carb-rich binding ingredients that the regular recipe uses.
- Customization: Experiment with different herbs in the dumplings for a twist.
- Side Dish: Serve with a side of roasted Brussels sprouts or a mixed greens salad.
Learn more: https://www.thelittlepine.com/keto-chicken-and-dumplings/
Tips for Enhancing Flavor in Low Carb Chicken Soups
- Layer Flavors: Build depth by sautéing aromatic ingredients like onions, garlic, and herbs before adding broth.
- Homemade Broth: If possible, use homemade broth for richer flavor without hidden carbs.
- Fresh Herbs: Stir in fresh herbs just before serving for a burst of vibrant flavor.
- Acidic Elements: Ingredients like lemon juice or vinegar can brighten flavors.
- Experiment with Spices: Don’t be afraid to explore exotic spices to add complexity.
Benefits of Low Carb Chicken Soups
Low carb chicken soups are not only delicious but also offer a range of benefits:
- Weight Management: By reducing carb intake, these soups can support weight loss and maintenance, keeping you fuller for longer.
- Blood Sugar Regulation: Low carb options can help stabilize blood sugar levels, making them an excellent choice for those with diabetes or anyone looking to avoid sugar spikes.
- Nutrient-Rich: Packed with protein, vitamins, and minerals from chicken and vegetables, these soups provide essential nutrients for your body.
- Satiety and Comfort: Warm, hearty soups are a comfort food that can provide a sense of satiety and satisfaction, making them perfect for cozy evenings.
Indeed, there’s nothing more comforting than having a bowl of piping hot chicken soup. The best part is you don’t have to sacrifice your keto diet to enjoy one.
These low-carb chicken soup recipes allow you to enjoy your childhood favorite, or even give the familiar classic recipe a new twist.
Whichever recipe you choose, follow all our pro tips and stick to using only low-carb ingredients so you can still stay in ketosis while you enjoy your childhood favorite.
Frequently Asked Questions
- Can I freeze these soups for later? Absolutely! These soups freeze well, providing you with convenient and delicious meals.
- What’s the best way to reheat the soups? For optimal taste and texture, gently reheat soups on the stovetop over low to medium heat.
- Are these recipes suitable for keto diets? Yes, these recipes are designed with low carb and keto-friendly ingredients.
- Can I adjust the spice levels to my preference? Certainly, feel free to adjust the spice levels to suit your taste buds.
- Can I substitute the chicken with other proteins? Absolutely, these recipes are versatile; you can try them with turkey, shrimp, or tofu for a twist.